Wrap up of the 2013 annual meeting (continued)
During the Annual Meeting, APRES recognized several individuals for their achievements and service to APRES:
- The highest honor the Society bestows on an individual, Fellow of the Society, was awarded to: Dr. Jay Chapin – Clemson University, retired; Dr. Barbara Shew – North Carolina State University; and Howard Valentine – American Peanut Council and The Peanut Foundation.
- Dr. Peter Dotray of Texas Tech University was selected as this year’s recipient of the Dow Agrosciences Award for Education.
- The Coyt T. Wilson Award for Outstanding Distinguished Service to APRES went to Dr. John Beasley of the University of Georgia.
- The Bailey Award for the best paper from the 2012 Annual Meeting went to A.M. Stephens and Dr. Tim Sanders of USDA-ARS in Raleigh, NC for their paper, “Effects of Peanuts and Fat-Free Peanut Flour of the Reversion of Atherosclerosis in Male Golden Syrian Hamsters”.
- Dr. Chris Butts of the USDA-ARS National Peanut Research Lab in Dawson, GA was recognized as retiring editor of Peanut Science, the official scientific journal of APRES. Dr. Timothy Grey (UGA) takes over as Editor of the journal. Additionally, Dr. Naveen Puppala (New Mexico State University) and Dr. Ames Herbert (Virginia Tech) were recognized for their six years of service as Associate Editors of Peanut Science.
- Dr. Jim Starr of Texas A&M, was given a standing ovation for his 8 years of service as the Executive Officer of APRES. Kim Cutchins of Tifton, GA will be taking over for Jim who is retiring from Texas A&M.
- At the conclusion of the meeting, new officers for the Society were inducted. Outgoing President, Dr. Ames Herbert (Virginia Tech), presented the gavel to incoming President, Dr. Tim Brenneman (UGA). President-Elect is Naveen Puppala of New Mexico State University. Dr. Todd Baughman (Oklahoma State University was presented with the Past President’s Award.
- The 2014 APRES meeting will be held July 8-10 at the Menger Hotel in San Antonio, TX.